Today’s top moments, in absolutely no order:
* I opened and managed the lunch shift on my own today for the first time.
* Everyone was fed lunch, no one complained, and I didn’t screw up too much, except I forgot to turn off the music between shifts. Oh, and one Micros report stumped me (shocking!), but I’ll get it next time.
* I didn’t have to call my GM about anything during the lunch shift, except about one thing unrelated to the lunch shift.
* The chef who never speaks to me surprised me and made me a fresh order of fries after the lunch shift. They were the ambrosia of my day, since I had no time for food other than these fries, all day.
* A couple of severs actually joked around with me, one calling me a “troublemaker.” It made sense at the time, although I can’t remember how it came up; and it also made me laugh.
* I screwed up one important task during the night shift, which I don’t get at all, because I thought I had it completely covered. I am willing myself not to wake up at 4 a.m. about this.
* I gave blister first-aid advice to a seasoned server.
* I didn’t care, and really don’t care, that a server seemingly young enough to be my kid constantly answers, “Thank you, sweetie,” to anything I say to him.
* I remembered guests names and used them frequently throughout the night shift, even to the older guest who said, “You sounded so sweet on the phone earlier today,” and then didn’t finish that thought. Hmmm.
* My feet hurt after a 12-and-a-half-hour double, my brain is mush, and I am too wound up to go to sleep. I am comforted by this. Because I am pretty sure I did a pretty good job today. And I loved every minute of it.