I am getting fat.
Okay, that’s a slight exaggeration. Recently, I have been eating a huge meal in the middle of the day with new hires. This is known as the “training meal.” I am not so much getting fat as getting full.
My restaurant designates certain employees as trainers for new staff. Managers interview and hire, and the select worker bees train the new hires on the floor. I am such a bee. And I have been training a lot this past month.
Everyday over a four-day training period, the trainees get a full meal–appetizer, entree, dessert–the idea being they should try out all kinds of menu items. We trainers get to have a meal, too.
Aside from getting full, I have observed much by sharing these training meals.
(Note to those who think I am an outrageous sexist who adheres to carbon-dated stereotypes as a result of the following observations: I am not. Really, I’m not.)
* The girls willingly try something different from their norm. The boys need to be subtly prodded to order something unusual.
* Both boys and girls are happy to have me bring the food to the table. Both boys and girls bring the food to the table when I ask them to help.
* The girls share the appetizers and do the “extend-a-fork” thing and reach over to try whatever entree I am eating. The boys hover over their plates. Sharing is not on their minds.
* The girls talk and ask questions while we eat. The boys look at me like I am crazy for wanting to chat during the meal. But they speak when spoken to.
* The girls eat everything except one or two bites of their entrees. The boys eat everything on their plates.
* The girls are happy to let me bus the tables. Then I ask them to help, which they do. The boys help me bus the tables without being asked to.
* Both boys and girls are happy I am too full to share their desserts. Then they inhale them, leaving not so much as a crumb behind.
When hiring slows down, I am looking forward to resuming my otherwise healthy diet of Sweet Tart breakfasts, Spree snack times, and chocolate-covered Sugar Babies lunches. All chased by gummies, of course.